As I write this, at the start of May 2010, the feeling is that the jobs market for project managers is beginning to pick up. At Project Challenge this week many recruitment consultants, journalists, and specialists on the PMI an APM stand said that the number of advertised jobs for project managers is beginning to pick up. So if you are looking for a new job will a project management professionalqualification help you get the job?
Will a qualification get me that job?
Increasingly employers have the pick of candidates to interview for job vacancies. Regrettably this means that they look for more specific set of requirements from candidates to pre-screen CVs before an interview. This means that minimum requirements for a professional qualification are becoming increasingly more common. However it remains true that a qualification is only going to get you considered for an interview the most important factor is going to be you demonstration of competence within your CV. Can you show how you effectively used project management to deliver successful projects in a professional way? How did you plan your stakeholder management? Can you give examples of risk that were avoided by effective management? Employers are looking for those who demonstrate a consistent approach to the delivery of projects.
Which project management training courses should I take?
Given that project management qualification can help you get on the short list for the interview. Which one should you take? Well if you just need something to boost your qualification then anything will do, well almost. It is best to target the qualification that most suits to industry you are targeting. PRINCE2 is very strong in the UK public sector and its supply base, especially in the IT sector. The PMI PMP is most widely recognised in global organisations, especially those with their roots in the USA. The APM is strongest in the infrastructure, defence and IT sectors.
Blended approaches to training?
The traditional approach to project management qualification has been a full 5-day course with the exam at the end of the week. These types of course are too expensive for many seeking a new job. However a number of providers now offer blended solutions with increasing levels of self study and support. The options can be highly cost effective using podcast, printed study material, e-learning and fast track workshops. Using these materials job seekers can now search for jobs on a much more cost effective way.
- Project Management Training Online Adds ‘PRINCE2 Project Management Knowledge Center’ for PM Professionals (prweb.com)
- Bahrain Creates New Professional Certification Fund (prnewswire.com)
- A project manager and Tom Sawyer (ittakes.wordpress.com)
- Earn a Project Management Higher Education Degree From Online Project Management Schools (tfollowers.com)
- Hamilton, A (2010) Art and practice of managing projects. London: Thomas Telford. (cmeforum.wordpress.com)
- Project Management Training Online Provides Updated Online PMP Exam Prep Training (prweb.com)
- Qualifications (projecthover.wordpress.com)
- What is manual project management (wiki.answers.com)
- Project Management for Health Professionals (blogs.berkeley.edu)
- Project Management Showdown: Do More Beyond the To-Do List (bjconquest.com)